Saturday, June 21, 2008

Kentucky "lifestyle center" ensnares elementary and middle school girls in web of jelly bracelets and 'lernins

I'm back and full of scoffing, sneering, and sass. Surely, I was missed. As, I am catching up on my emails, old and new news/internet crap reading here is a Jezebel article that briefly highlights a shopping camp for 6-12 at a Louisville, KY shopping center. While the 'camp' does go to places like Barnes & Nobel and Office Max to teach information searches and organization skills, I am rolling my eyes hard at the portion of the kiddie seminar that teaches girls how to put together an outfit and properly accessorize.
Firstly: Is this an incredibly thinly veiled attempt to boost sales by letting hyperactive tweens run amok at the only indoor camp with a food court and a Victoria's Secret? (I quick run-down of the stores in the 'Summit Lifestyle Center' shows a fair amount of brands that are either already bankrupt (Chico's ) or toeing the line (Limited brands ; Gap brands ; Claire's et al.)
Secondly: Who cares if a 6-12 year old can dress themselves stylishly? (answer: other 6-12 yr olds and their mothers with the social mentality of 6-12 yr old) When yours truly was of that tender age, I was decking myself out in all one fluorescent color, crimpin' the shit out of my hair and interspersing tiny braids and bows, painting unicorns on my face, matching my keds to my frilly socks, and stitching together whatever garment I could make from tee shirts swiped from my dad's closet. Basically, I was a tiny Boy George and my parents couldn't care less.
Do children really need to be taught how to properly dress and accessorize their prepubescent forms to some ricidulous, and most-likely poorly dressed, adults dictum? Do they really need to be spending their summer indoors snoring through the organization and information sections and flipping their shit in Limited too? When they could be, I don't know, outside? playing? like children? The article does nicely note that "not all children can be cheerleaders (and football players)" so is compulsive consumer the only other outlet for girls of that age? Apparently, it is in Kentucky.



fun fact: over-heard in a Barnes and Nobel while at the beach (yes, I was in a book-store while at the beach, I was looking for UK vogue & elle, V, and I-D of which they had none)

one approx. 14yr old dressed like Kimora Lee Simmons to another
"This store is like SO gay. I hate it."
reply from other bored tween.
"Jill would love it. She is a mega-nerd"
cackling ensues.
fin.

No comments: