Sunday, January 4, 2009

hayden hartnett semi-on target

Target is rolling along with their go-lines, the one presently in stores is accessories by Hayden-Hartnett (which will be followed by Loomstate and the more exciting, McQueen). In concept, I am all for Target collabos; in practice I am a little salty. Of all of the collections to date, I only retain a crumpled Prozena tee that I wear to aerobicize in and a Rogan bikini bottom. It's not like I dont try to snatch up all of the jams; I bought atleast 85% of the Rogan line and 75% of the Proenza line as soon as they hit stores. What's the beef then? I cannot stand the fit and fabric quality. Yeah yeah, I know, they can't use modal in the jersey or cashmere in the knits because it's 'budget', but for jeex sake can you please atleast BRUSH your cotton? Not even ceramic brush, just straight up brush the sticks out of that ish. H&M is in the same price tier and their joint ventures tend to lend better fabric quality for the end price. Re: fit, omg seriously. SERIOUSLY. Are you trying to make these garments look cheap on the body? Are you using your Minnesota fit model and not the New York one? All of the girls in the Go! ads are heavily pinned and tucked which is evident once you look at the same clothes on the Target web model. I have yet to see a live person, myself included, look aspirational in these catwalk to end-cap creations. Too short, too loose, too high, too low, too not-right tends to be the ending thought in the dressing room with garments that really do have good hanger appeal. Even the Rogan bikni bottom alternates between being a leopard print rap video piece when dry and a saggy mess when wet. Even Old Navy bottoms have better fit. For shame. Now with the HH bags in stores and online, I am supremely skeptical of the nicely shaped carry-alls and clutches. One reviewer on Target's website gives the bag four stars, only deducting points because the fabric looks cheap and the shoulder strap does not stay up. Oh, so you would have given it a 100% if it didn't look like shit and was FUNCTIONAL?! True to form, the bags look nice online (barring the black pvc(above) which looks like a hefty bag), but in person they are just not quite right; hardware is brassy, fabrics are tacky, straps are too short/long. I will say, the cloth pieces are nicer, but the print bothers me. Hopefully with practice, Tarjey will improve, until then I'll just have to put it in the never buy clothes from category, alongside my sworn enemy Macys.

No comments: