Tuesday, July 8, 2008

cold stores with warm inhabitants




NYT reviews the new Jil Sander store on Howard st and I am PINING my evening away wishing I were there. Much like the Marni store on Mercer, the Jil Sander store is clean, clinical, chilly, and reflective. It also possesses the same breed of gentle, accommodating staff. There is nothing I enjoy, or respect, more than genuine, kind sales staff especially in high end stores. In every fancy-pants-y store I have stepped into, ones with actual runway shows and often fragrances to their name, I have been welcomed and more often than not offered tea or a light snack.
Am I a gajillionarie, no, but with today's increasingly youthful billionairesses and starlets no one is the wiser that I, perhaps, am most likely clad in Cheap Monday and American Apparel instead of Chanel and Alaia. Though, I like to think, especially since I have spent time in their shoes, that they really do want to bring warmth and a helping hand to what can be an intimidating situation. There is a big difference between being confident about your product and being self-righteous about it. One leads to confident users, the other to scorned shoppers who will probably egg your fixed gear bike/vespa while you are on a smoke break.

No comments: