Thursday, July 10, 2008

krazy karl: moving from wildly expensive bikes to homes on fashion island



Karl Lagerfeld is designing homes on Dubai's Isla Moda. Yes, you read that correctly, FASHION ISLANDDDDD. Apparently, the isle will have a concierge service to bring you all of your couture and (sniff) r-t-w needs as well as home furnishings if you simply cannot be bothered to fetch them yourself. I am speculating that every item on fashion island will be branded, visibly, in some way. perhaps instead of maps and roadsigns they will have photos of Agyness Deyn pointing the way to the island that is shaped like the globe. Photos shot by Mario Testino, natch. Now, I am all for the seven deadly, but this seems to be indulging them to excess. Also, for as consumptive as fashion inherently is, do the surrounding U. Arab-Emirate areas condone this hedonism? Could all the money being funneled into Dubai be used for, I don't know, something OTHER THAN FASHION ISLAND? As much as I love fashion and design, I would never, ever go to fashion island. I would avoid it with nearly the same vehemence as I do the, Kerouac Kafe. (yes that is a real place, yes they spelled cafe with a K, yes they have free wifi, and probably someone to proof read your ground breaking coming of age novelette) I have a feeling that when the rest of the nations cause the earth to essentially explode, Dubai will just separate itself from the rest of the planet and set itself into orbit. I am sure it's residents have that kind of capital.

No comments: